Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Gilman Manse, Yarmouth, Maine


Photo of Gilman Manse, Yarmouth, Maine circa 1928 from my grandmother's binder titled "Yarmouth History". This photo appears to be a real estate advertisement photo from when my grandparents, Merrill and Grace Ware (Holbrook) Haskell purchased this house in 1928.

Transcription from back of photo:

Reg 3320 Gilman
4000
Reg - 3320
For 10 Acres
2 1/2 Sty - wood
10/12 Rooms
8 open fireplaces
F.S. & E.G. Vaill,
Real Estate and Mortgages,
First Nat'l Bank Building
57 Exchange St.
Portland, Maine

I believe this house was built circa 1771 by Parson Tristram Gilman, 3rd Pastor of the First Church in North Yarmouth. I need to do further research to confirm the details. I have great memories of exploring the rooms, attic, basement and barn at this house. I also remember mowing the lawns for my grandfather while I was in high school in the early 1980's. The house has been sold several times since my grandfather's death in 1988.




© 2010, copyright William C. Haskell

1 comment:

  1. My family has the signature of JE Gilman i think the grandson of PT gilman.

    ReplyDelete