Thursday, July 1, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - Elizabeth Owen - Cross Stitch Sampler

Elizabeth Owen was b. 3 Mar 1819 daughter of Cotton and Lydia (Cotton) Owen. She m. Alfred Haskell 14 Dec 1844, presumably in Portland, Maine although I have not found the marriage record yet. Alfred and Elizabeth are my great-great grandparents. They lived in Portland, Cumberland County, Maine and both are buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Portland. Elizabeth d. 3 Sept 1888 at age 69 years 6 months.

She created this cross-stitch sampler at age 11 (ca 1830). As you can see the thread colors are quite faded from this piece being displayed in a sunny room for many years.



© 2010, copyright William C. Haskell

4 comments:

  1. As an avid cross stitcher I can say this cross stitch is a RARE GEM! How wonderful it is to see her name nice and clear at the bottom. Thanks for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, Thanks for the comment. I have another sampler that I will post later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece of family history to have. I am sure it is not in direct sunlight anymore.
    Welcome to the geneabloggers family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments. I am looking forward to many more posts and more connections with my family history.

    ReplyDelete