Monday, October 18, 2010

Amanuensis Monday - Mary C. Diller Letter , Jan. 1, 1941

 I transcribed this New Year's card/letter from Mary C. Diller to my grandmother Grace Ware (Holbrook) Haskell/

Jan. 1st 1941,
My Dear Cousin:
      So few of us are left. I want to keep in touch with them.
      How are cousin Will Cabot [William Brooks Cabot] and family? Also Dear Nellie Torrey? I fear cousin Nellie must see so lonely in this rushing world; but one should be so thankful we are so fortunate to have a home in the U.S.A. Our President is doing his best to keep us out of War.
      Do you have Relatives in Europe? If so your heart must ache for them.
      These are indeed strenuous times and stands [?] one in hand to be ready to meet our Maker. I hope you all keep well.
      I am enclosing to you a clipping of inquiry so you know of this John B. Cabot of Boston? I suppose cousin Will Cabot of Boston might give one some information but I have never been able to get his address.
      I met him years ago with Dear Uncle Norman Cabot [Norman Franklin Cabot] at the Worlds Fair Chicago, Ill. The year before my marriage.
      My son John has four children. Three boys and a sweet little Lucia. They live at Meridian, Conn. 3186 Emlock Road. Son Roland has no children but a very sweet wife. We are quite well but my eyes poor. A Happy New Year to you all with much love. Cousin Mary C. Diller





© 2010, copyright William C. Haskell

No comments:

Post a Comment