Monday, December 6, 2010

Advent Calendar - Santa Claus

December 6 – Santa Claus
Did you ever send a letter to Santa? Did you ever visit Santa and “make a list?” Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

 You bet! Here is one from 1973 when I was 7 years old.


I don't recall getting anything on that list! I know I sent lists to Santa. Here is a letter that I received from Santa.





This is a little tough to read, so here is a transcription:

NORTH POLE
P.O. Box 1923
Portland, Maine 04104

Dear William,
     Thank you for writing to me. I know you've been good most of the year so I'll see what I can do for you. My elves and I have been very busy lately trying to get toys made for you. We even work after supper each night.
     Mrs Claus is helping out this year by dressing all the dolls. Her sewing machine has been going WHRRR-RR for weeks now. She has my red suit all set for me to wear.
     My reindeer are in top shape and all ready for the trip. Rudolph also tells me he's ready to lead my sleigh in case it's a foggy night.
     I flew down over Maine a few nights ago to pick up some toy making supplies. From the looks of all the bright lights, I'd say you people in Maine really have the Christmas spirit this year.
     I hope you'll all remember that Christmas is more than just presents, candy canes, and beautiful trees and decorations. It is also sharing, helping others and being nice to everyone all year long. And most of all, it is the birthday of baby Jesus.
Merry Christmas
Santa Claus

Seems kind of interesting that based on this letter the North Pole address was in Portland, Maine! I wonder if I noticed that before...



© 2010, copyright William C. Haskell

2 comments:

  1. Now see, that's something I never knew...about the North Pole being in Maine ;-) What's with all the items you crossed out on your list - were you told to pare it down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana, I don't remember why I crossed out some of the items. It was probably because I came across items that I wanted more as I was making the list and crossed out the ones that I did not want as much.

    ReplyDelete